This policy is effective as of January 01, 2009.
Keeping Your Information Safe and Secure
For more than 75 years, van Wagenen has been a trusted symbol of service and reliability, and we remain dedicated to those principles today.
We are committed to protecting customer information. We take our responsibility to protect the privacy and confidentiality of any client information very seriously. We limit employee access to client and borrower information to those who have a business reason to know this information. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable legal standards to store and secure client information from unauthorized access and use, alteration, and destruction. We require contractors and outside companies who work with us to adhere to strict privacy standards through their contracts with us. Our own policies and procedures have been developed to protect the confidentiality of client information and to help achieve compliance with relevant rules and regulations. We hold our employees accountable for complying with those policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
We endeavor to collect, use, and maintain client information only for appropriate purposes. We limit the collection, use, and retention of client information to what we reasonably believe will help us deliver superior service, to administer our business, manage our client’s risks, market our services and products, and to meet applicable laws and regulations.
We do not share customer information with any outside parties. van Wagenen does not share customer information with anyone except the lending institution or as van Wagenen may be required by law, including:
- Government entities, courts or other entities (in response to subpoenas and other legal processes), or those with whom you have requested us to share information.
Your Personal Information
When you come to van Wagenen web sites (vanwagenen.com or insuranceservicecenter.com), we log your current Internet address (this is usually a temporary address assigned by your Internet service provider when you log in), the type of operating system you are using, and the type of browser software used. In addition, we may keep track of what areas of our web site you visit. This information helps us improve our site and ensure that the information you need is easy to access.
While we track this information about the technology you are using, we do not identify who you are. You will remain anonymous to our system unless you choose to tell us who you are. For example, when you submit a question via our email submit form, this information is kept confidential and only disclosed to those who may be able to help answer your question within the company. We do not disclose your personal information to other companies who intend to sell their products or services to you. For example, we will not sell your name or email address to a catalog company.
Online Security Tips
While van Wagenen is committed to ensuring the highest standard of security on our systems, you as the end-user also play an important role to ensure that you are adequately protected when you use the Internet. The following security best practices are recommended:
- Install anti-virus, anti-spyware, and other Internet security software on your PC. Use it regularly and keep it up-to-date.
- Take advantage of your PC’s security features. Make sure your browser uses the strongest encryption available and be aware of the encryption levels of the sites and applications you use.
- Regularly update your PC’s operating system and Web browser software with the vendor’s software patches and updates to protect your PC against known vulnerabilities.
- Do what you can to prevent unauthorized people from using your PC.
- Change your passwords often. Be sure to choose passwords that are hard for others to guess.
- If you notice suspicious activity in your accounts, report it immediately to the appropriate parties.
- Do not download or open any attachments sent to you by unsolicited email. Once opened, these programs may contain malicious programs that can compromise your PC’s security.
- Be on the alert for phishing scams. Access Web sites by typing the Web addresses directly into your Web browser or by using Web addresses you have bookmarked, instead of via embedded links in unsolicited emails.
van Wagenen Financial Services, Inc.
Attention: Privacy Officer
6483 City West Parkway
Eden Prairie, MN 55344